Chicago Liturgy is in support of churches reporting their usage of songs in church worship through CCLI (and other licensing organizations).  Doing so will help composers & authors continue to use their gifts through appropriate & legal royalty payments.  Your cooperation will also enable The Church as a whole to corporately “sing a new song” through the creation of new music & liturgical resources.

Please contact to sign up your church for a license.  Fees are based on size of congregational attendance and are therefore appropriately adjusted.

Frequent Questions

In addition to the above reasons, why else do I need to create an account for my church with CCLI and report songs that I use through Chicago Liturgy?

The copyright law is very clear on copying music. If you do not have express permission from the rightful owner of the song, you cannot make a copy.  A CCLI Church Copyright License is a contractual agreement with songwriters and publishers from around the world. For an annual license fee, a church receives legal authorization to copy from over 200,000 songs for congregational use.  This license applies to sheet music as well as projected texts to songs.

Is CCLI the only licensing organization that I may use?

Right now, CCLI is the overwhelmingly primary source for church music licensing and the organization that Chicago Liturgy currently recommends.  As new possible licensing organizations emerge, we will keep you updated.

Are there other royalties to consider?

Performing rights are the right to perform music in public.  It is part of copyright law. (Performances are considered "public" if they take place in a public place and the audience is outside of a normal circle of friends and family.)  CCLI covers the church worship aspect of copyright law.  However, public performance also includes broadcast and cable television, radio, and any other transmitted performance of a live song.  Broadcasters must pay for their use of music in one of two ways: they can obtain permission/license directly from the music’s copyright owner (usually the publisher), or they can obtain a license from ASCAP and BMI to use all of the music in their repertoires. ASCAP and BMI along with the much smaller SESAC are the three performing rights societies in the U.S. and once they receive payment from the broadcasters they are responsible for compensating the music authors and publisher.